Monday, February 14, 2011

Anthropologie's BHLDN Review: From a Wedding Planner's Perspective

Today was the unveiling of the much-anticipated Anthropologie wedding line, "BHLDN," short for Beholden. I could just lead you to the link to check out the gorgeousness for yourselves, but I wanted to give you some perspective on the line, the prices, the everything - in the opinion of one wedding planner. Here is some food for thought... And just like your movies on DVD, I'll add my own little disclaimer that the opinions hereafter are those of mine alone and not all will share in them, but hey - get your own blog then. ;)

The BEST things about this line: the cover-ups (bolero jackets) and the wedding gowns and their prices. We'll get to the boleros in a minute, but first the lovely gowns. They're extremely unique and capture the essence of what we all love about Anthropologie... modern twist on vintage, feminine, different. Right now, the line only consists of 16 gowns -- not a large selection, but they do have a nice number of formal, vintage, and short dresses. The prices are, for the most part, very reasonable.
Here are my faves:
$3,600 Pleated Fantasy Dress


$1,800 Zinnia Dress

$2,400 Tulip Gown$1,000 Eyelet Medley Sheathe


Buying your wedding gown online has NEVER been recommended for many different reasons. However. I will say buying online from a trusted seller such as Anthropologie has its benefits. They have a 30-day return policy if you're unhappy for any reason; the gowns ship out (typically) within a WEEK - unheard of unless you buy off the rack, which may very well not be in your size. They give you a good fitting chart (ALWAYS get fitted by a professional seamstress to get your accurate measurements first.) Of course, you're still highly likely to need alterations of some sort. They also have online stylists available to answer questions and - the best part - they have video for every gown where you can see them on a live model and watch the material of the gown, the way it moves, and looks from every angle -- key to your happiness by setting your expectations.

Pitfalls - gowns look SO so so very different on various body types, complexions, etc. so it would be really hard to determine if they'll actually look good on you. However, you can always return. They've got good shipping rates too.

OK, on to the outstanding lineup of bolero jackets, which are very in right now. They're such a nice touch to add at your reception if it gets chilly. One of my sweet brides put hers on during the reception and said that she was married now and wanted to cover up for her new husband. So sweet.

Here are some faves:


Other things I like:

Pom-Pom ($25) and Festooned ($85) shoe clips (note the gold glitter shoes - fab!)


Sinuous Silk Bracelet ($290)


Voluminous Silk Headband ($130 )

Chantilly Romper (what bride doesn't want to wear a romper for her honeymoon night? :) ($390)

And probably my favorite item on the site is just this little number for $1,600.


Negatives? I would just say the lingerie is very expensive, and the jewelry is not all that great -- there are definitely some jaw-dropping pieces, but you'll pay for them - $450 - 700 for necklace is probably out of many brides' price range for one piece.

So what are your favorites from the line?

6 comments:

  1. LOVE!!! These are so gorgeous! I love the tulip dress- and the pleated dress is just plain fabulous. The 2nd bolero is my favorite and is so luxurious. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Sighhhhhhh I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the pleated dress is utterly divine. The 2nd bolero is my fave too. It's so romantic and feminine. love love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love! Can I get maRried again:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the designs of all the dresses I've seen so far, but they all may only look good on one body type, thin and long. I asked my sister's opinion (she was a professional model for 10 years) -- and she agreed that many women may look fruppy in some of the wedding gowns. There looks to be a double bodice that can make a woman look thick or a bit shapeless. Anyone else notice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a bridal shower gift from BHLDN through the brides registry. First of all, I was informed that the item was backordered for over 2 months. However, my greatest problem most recently is that my credit card was billed again for the same item. It took a couple of calls, speaking to different people at customer service before the last one saw what happened. The gift the bride received was defective so she called them and they sent out another one, instructing her to send the defective one back to them. When they didn't receive it, they billed MY credit card even though I had no knowledge that this even happened and certainly had no control over if and when the bride made the return. When I complained to the rep, she said it's their policy to do this. They didn't even send me any type of notification to let me know that this was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome wedding gowns. I always recommend brides to check out your blog for wedding dress inspiration. There are a lot of apps and online tools available to help you with your wedding planning. But, it's kind of hard to find one that meets your expectations. I've done my research and ended up with this all-in-one event planning software. It's an extremely useful professional event software that allows you see your wedding in virtual reality. You won't need any other tool with this free event planner.

    ReplyDelete